An Autism Connection

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Autism Reading Material

I am finally on Spring Break!! You have no idea how jealous I have been reading about all of your wonderful trips and fun activities while I was slogging away with my students. But, now it's my turn. Unfortunately though, my spring break will consist of packing boxes since my boyfriend and I are moving. Not as much fun as going to Mexico, sigh.

 I am also going to finish all the books I purchased to help me with my new classroom in the fall. I am kind of anal. When I am unsure about something, I try to find as much information as I can so that I am better prepared to make decisions. These were some of my selections. I got all of these on Amazon. Over the next few days, I will share a few of them with you. Here are the first three, that go over basic information on what autism is and how to create supports in the classroom that are beneficial and will make teaching easier.


This was written by Susan Kobot, and Christine Reeve  from AutismClassroomNews. It does just what it says in the title, with lots of color pictures across many settings to show you examples of how to set a good classroom up, how to organize it, and what visuals might be needed. Excellent resource. Another book along the same lines is this one by S. B. Linton.
This one is older and is more focused on the classroom procedures rather than classroom spaces. It has information on assessments, data tracking, communications supports, behavioral supports, and ideas for instruction. Another excellent resource for a brand new program.

Although this one says checklist, I didn't find it to be much of one. Instead, it is filled with comprehensive information for teachers and parents about the  basics of autism, and strategies for how to teach a student with autism in general education and special education settings, as well as a home environment. A good resource for any  teacher who will be teaching students with autism.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I'm glad you stopped by my blog. If you ever have questions or need ideas about setting up your new autism class, just let me know! I have years worth of ideas and strategies! Michelle Garcia Winner = AMAZING look up ALL of her stuff! Zones of Regulation is great too!

    Lisa
    The Lower Elementary Cottage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa. I follow your blog faithfully and if I can ever figure out how to post stuff on my blog, I will purchase some of your cool borders and clip art. I appreciate your offer of help and believe me, I will be taking you up on your offer once I get closer to starting the program. Good luck with your new position!

      Delete