An Autism Connection

Friday, June 28, 2013

Work tasks, end of school year.

Our school ended a week ago Monday, but here I am, still at school, slaving away for free, lol. I knew when I signed on to be the teacher in this new program that set up would be time consuming, but the truth of it all is I am loving it. I was getting a little burned out in the other program so it was good to get out while things were still good. It wasn't what I was originally told it was going to be when I was hired for the job, and not even close to what I had been doing in Colorado, or what my degree was in. However, I stuck it out for 5 years and learned a lot. And now I am moving forward.

I have spent the last 10 days purging all of my cabinets and bookshelves. I made the decision not to go back to a resource type setting ever again because the truth of it is that the environment I love is working with students that are on the more severe end of things, regardless of their disabilities. So out with curriculum that was geared for kids with higher academic abilities and in with sorting tasks, work tasks, and more life skills curriculum.
Here are some pics of what I have been doing:

Here is a BEFORE picture of my classroom and its unorganized and cluttered mess (don't judge). I have to put most of this away as they will remove everything from the room in order to wax the floors and clean and sanitize everything. I will post an after picture sometime in August so you can see the transformation.
Here is the ton of laminating I have also been doing. I have literally gone through 2 entire rolls in our library but they have been very understanding and have ordered extra for this school year. I will be taking this home to cut it all out, yuck.


Here are some work task boxes I have put together so far. I have a ton more but ran out of boxes. And there will still be work to do on these boxes when I come back because I need to add labels and directions to each box, as well as smaller sorting containers, etc. Everything costs SOOO MUCH MONEY and I have already spent a ton of my own. I am now waiting for the district to kick in their share.

 Here are samples of a couple of tasks I have put together in the last couple of days. I found these at the local thrift store and thought they might make a nice fine motor/life skill for some of my more advanced students. Just need to add a screw driver, although I have one for the green handles below.




 Anyhow, more later.


2 comments:

  1. So, did you do resource (inclusion) before this new move? I am beginning this year as a resource teacher for grades 2-6. I am thankful and excited, but I let the principal know that I did not want to be there permanently. The one thing I already dislike about this job is that I am basically going to have to go by all of the other teacher's rules and ways. I want my own classroom with my own way. So, from my understanding, I should be in an extended resource position by December. I won't go into the details of how that is going to play out. I am glad you are enjoying your new classroom!

    ~Tasha
    A Tender Teacher for Special Needs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a self-contained resource setting that I shared with 2 other teachers, who each had their own room. We split the subjects up and I taught Science and Math. The kids went as a group to the other block classes. We are a middle school so all 3 grades were mixed together. Their abilities ranged from preschool to 3rd grade. If kids were capable of higher level academics, we put them in resource for those subjects. Most of the students could do non-academic electives independently, as well as lunch, etc. In the last year, the lines started to blur a bit, and we started getting students with more severe needs, such as autism or low cognitive abilities, or students who should have been in an EBD environment. I discovered I missed working with students with more severe needs and that I am NOT an EBD teacher. I am excited to start my new program!

      I wish you luck in your new setting. Hopefully it all works out for you!!

      I hope you

      Delete