An Autism Connection

Sunday, July 28, 2013

New blogger find

As the school year approaches (although not until Aug 27 for me), I am getting a little more anxious about having enough ready tasks for the students to do while I assess them and finalize schedules, etc. Since I am starting from scratch, I am having to spend a lot of time putting together curriculum, file folders and work tasks. Even though I am also creating some of my own, any time I can save by finding materials other people have put together, is time well spent. So TpT and pinterest have become my best friends, and I literally stalk blogs looking for items that will work for me and my students, and checking out the blogs they follow, in hopes of finding something new. I have discovered we all basically follow the same ones, but occasionally, I stumble upon a blog that is a gold mine, which happened yesterday. The added challenge for me is that I am teaching middle school, so there is more of an emphasis on life skills than what you find in elementary. This blog is perfect for me as she emphasizes life and vocational tasks, but has some other curricular tasks thrown in as well. These are images of some of the tasks she has put together:




Her tasks are amazing and I love the real life photographs. These pictures don't show all the parts associated with the tasks itself, but many have additional tasks associated with it such as filling orders, adding up a total, writing, etc. These are just a few of the tasks she has on her site. Her name is Dianne Matthews, and she is a Para-educator in a high school. You can find her blog here.  She has recently started selling on TpT and I have wish-listed almost everything in her store. Here is a link to her site. In addition, she has written a book called Table Top Tasks which she is selling on Amazon that details many of the tasks on her blog, as well as others. Here is a link to her book on Amazon.. Since I am not nearly this creative, I am grateful to find others that are and are willing to share, even at a cost. The amount is negligible when compared to the time and money I would have to spend to create it myself.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jannike! Thanks for the post. I am a sped middle school lifeskills teacher too and I am so happy not only to find you but for your new blogger recommendation! Looking forward to reading your posts :D
    Danielle
    Growing Special Seeds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      I started following you back. Even though most of my student's academic skills are on par with pre-school and early elementary students, they are in middle school and have different needs that most of the elementary blogs don't touch on. It's why I am spending so much time on life skills. For several years I worked in a high school setting, so I know how long it takes for students to gain the skills they'll need to be contributing members of society when they are adults, and also to be as independent as possible within their own unique situations. There are hardly any blogs out there that address these needs, so we are pioneers of sorts. That's why I get so excited when I find someone at the secondary level. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. I stumbled across this blog today! It's great. I am a resource teacher right now, but I am hoping to transfer to extended resource in December! I was already following you, but I am going to add you to my sped list, so I can watch your blog more closely. :-)

    Teaching with TLC,
    A Tender Teacher for Special Needs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jannikke, Great post. I nominated you for the Liebster award. Click HERE to accept your nomination. Have a great day and I enjoy reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jannike!
    I have found that you and I are in the same boat! I am also starting a new position this upcoming school year in an autistic support middle school classroom. I am looking forward to the adventures but agree that it is overwhelming! I have experience in younger grades and just finished a position where I taught juvenile delinquents. So, I am starting in a very different place! I plan to start a blog (if I don't get to crazy busy) because I agree with you that tehre are not enough of us blogging out there! I have been desperaterly looking for great resources like you that will not break the bank and wont be super time consuming for me! Good to find you and perhaps we can contact each other when we get stuck!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete