An Autism Connection

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

lesson plans

In my last post, I shared my new lesson planner format. In this post, I am sharing the overarching lesson plans for two of my groups: Teacher time and Language Arts. Last semester, my struggle was to have something up and running, with a focus on schedules and something to keep them busy. I feel I have been successful with this and our days run fairly smoothly for the most part. Even though they also need additional tweaking and  work, I have decided to revamp these over the summer for next year. There has been some changes in our schedules to accommodate one student who is in general education classes most of the day with a Para, but the classes are the same, just different times of the day. Thanks to my incredible restful winter break, I now feel like I can tackle a few things that needed it, and one of those was having a template for these 2 groups. I wanted some kind of structure to my days, since I was focusing on IEP goals. Then I saw the Autism Tank guided reading plans for January and decided that something very similar would work for me since we were doing similar tasks and lessons for reading. I felt the template could also work for Teacher Time.

 First, I looked at the IEP goals for my students. For reading, I obviously decided to work on their LA goals. For Teacher time, I decided to work on direct instruction in math, as well as those goals that don't fit in anywhere else the rest of the day. We have additional rotation areas where they also work on reading and math, but these are more independent tasks that are based on skills they have already learned. With me, the emphasis is on new tasks and skills that are not mastered.


For Language Arts, I have just 2 groups. I had a 3rd, but I moved both of my higher students out to other classrooms since their skills were beginning to approach grade level. I send them with a Para and both are doing well. The lower group is interesting. One of the students is working on letter sounds and answering simple comprehension questions. The other one can read, but is unable to answer any questions about what he has read. Both use a communication device. One is unable to speak although he has utterances. The other one can read, but is otherwise echolalic and has no other speech. Both are non-writers. Even though they have different reading abilities, they are so similar in all of their other needs I decided to put them together. The following are the activities we will do each day for the week.



My other group are readers, currently at level E according to Fountas and Pinnell.
I work with them on short fluency timings ( thanks Autism Tank), as well as comprehension questions, something they all struggle with. I use a variety of games and worksheets. On Tuesdays, we do News-2-you and do the worksheets that accompany this. When we are near a holiday, we will also do some of the cooking activities, etc. On Wednesdays, I work on reading strategies. On Thursday,  we work on leveled readers, along with word work and more comprehension questions. On Fridays, we write and edit, etc.

For teacher time I have 3 groups. As I said, my main focus is Math, but I also work with them on other concepts, such as shoe tying, that don't fit anywhere else. This is my higher group. I have some Language Arts in there too, because I wanted data on specific goals since these students are in general ed.





This is my middle group. Math concepts are similar, but they have slightly different goals.

For my lowest group, the emphasis is on very beginning math concepts. Since both of these students are non-writers, I do a lot of fine motor work as well.

Having these in place has really helped me stay focused. It doesn't get boring because the activities get changed out, depending on the season.


1 comment: