An Autism Connection

Monday, April 14, 2014

Social story/freebie

I have one student that eats from the trashcan, that will pick stuff up off the ground and eat it, and that finds gum under tables and pops it into his mouth. This is definitely behavior we want to change!! It came to a head one day when we were at the park and someone had left a soda can partially filled next to a bench. He was far enough away that I couldn't see what kind of drink it was at first, and I was freaked out that it was alcohol, but it turned out to be Diet Dr. Pepper. Anyway, he drank the remainder in the can before I got there. This is the same student that I needed to create the poison lesson/unit for as he ate poisonous berries and plants while he was out in the community with us.  Definitely a problem. So then I created this social story to deal with the trash situation. He's done ok with it. He slips up occasionally, but isn't being sneaky about it like before, he just forgot. When we see this behavior and say something, he spits it out. I wish he would stop altogether, but baby steps work, too.

If you want a copy of the social story, you can find it HERE.

6 comments:

  1. Love your posts! Can you change your google drive settings so that others have access to them? I have a student who eats bark mulch, dried bits of playdoh, paper bits or pretty much anything he spots on the floor or ground!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I changed the settings so you should be able to access it now. Let me know if you can't. And been there and done that with weird stuff students eat. Hope the social story helps.

      Delete
  2. I think that all of us can say we have had a student like this at one point! Great social story I can definitely use this!! Thanks

    Jenn
    www.teachloveautism.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so very welcome, glad that it's also helping someone else!!

      Delete
  3. That story is awesome! I was giggling while reading it but you did a great job!! I love it helps your student :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't start off this concrete and specific, but the student persisted, so I had to keep adding pages until we got to this version. We were giggling when it was done. I am just grateful he responds. If you thought this one was funny, you should read some of the bathroom ones I have had to write.

      Delete